Tuesday, May 5, 2015

HOW I USED MY PVC TO RECHARGE MY PHONE

This actually happened on April 11, the day of the gubernatorial election. Enjoy

I was the last person standing in line on a queue of about ten voters waiting to collect their ballot papers. Directly ahead of me on the queue was my bro, Okezie. We arrived the voting venue together.

Just then this party agent walks up to me and inquires. "Shebi you're Igbo?"

I was taken aback. She quite brazen about the way she put forward her question.

"Because of the Oba's speech?" I was going to ask before I stopped myself. It was a straight forward question but it took a while before she got an answer though.

"Nah" the lie fell out of my mouth with ease. She blinked twice. My answer stunned her for a moment there. She moved forward to my brother to try her luck.

"Please vote my party, PDP. You're an Igbo guy abi?"

"PDP abi? No wahala" He humored her, apparently unfazed by her question. "But if I vote your party how much will you pay me?" He teased. I just barely contained my laughter where I was.

"Haba don't vote for the money" she said with a hint of desperation.

At that moment she started appealing to both of us at the same time. She must have reckoned that my initial lie about my tribe was meant as a joke.

"Don't worry. You don't have problem". We assured her.

Looking up after I'd cast my vote, I met her gaze and she gave me a knowing smile. Well its Election season I thought to myself. Nothing is strange. I winked at her.

As I was about leaving the voting venue with my bro, she approached us once again. Oh my, did she mistake my wink to mean something romantic?

I exchanged glances with my bro and he mouthed "What on earth could she possibly want this time?"

Before I could provide an answer, she was already standing in front of us smiling. I think we must have been smiling back because then she asked.

"What network do you guys use?"

No comments:

Post a Comment